Overview

A vitamin is an organic compound required as a nutrient in tiny amounts by an organism. A compound is called a vitamin when it cannot be synthesized in sufficient quantities by an organism, and must be obtained from the diet. Thus, the term is conditional both on the circumstances and the particular organism. For example, ascorbic acid functions as vitamin C for some animals but not others, and vitamins D and K are required in the human diet only in certain circumstances.

Vitamins are classified by their biological and chemical activity, not their structure. Thus, each "vitamin" actually refers to a number of vitamer compounds, which form a set of distinct chemical compounds that show the biological activity of a particular vitamin. Such a set of chemicals are grouped under an alphabetized vitamin "generic descriptor" title, such as "vitamin A," which (for example) includes retinal, retinol, and many carotenoids. Vitamers are often inter-convertible in the body. The term vitamin does not include other essential nutrients such as dietary minerals, essential fatty acids, or essential amino acids, nor does it encompass the large number of other nutrients that promote health but are otherwise required less often.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Therapeutic Vibes - A Physios Experiences With Vibration Therapy

After about 18 months to read, consider and theorizing about 6 months of trials and tests on more than 100 participants are presented in the form of physical therapy patients, and an inspiration "debate" on this page, I noticed that it's was time for me to sit and my thoughts and experiences so far with vibration therapy.

I these thoughts and experiences to you, my fellow enthusiasts vibrations, thoughts and experiences, which by careful analysis and careful experimentation. My intention is to do nothing more than provocative thought and further discussion on the current and future applications of vibration therapy.

For the "Research obsessed 'readers, before the smoke billows of the ears is important to note that I am fully aware that most of what I am, which is not uncontroversial research, nor am I indicating that someone using my methods, without carefully examine whether these methods are suitable for their individual clinical situations. In the words of fellow forum visitors Larry Leigh,

"In the result, even if the health professionals preach" evidence-based practice, which includes all methods and techniques that work for them. You can not always 10 research studies that back up these special technique. "

I am aware that my use of a whole body vibration platform for the therapy should be considered experimental by some, but it is not without ideas, experience, and consideration of established scientific principles. In the words of the Seneca Indian tribe, "It is not because things are difficult that we dare not venture. It is because we dare not venture that they are difficult." The only way to continue the development of science and legitimacy of these amazing devices ever to ask, "What-if?"

home

As a Physical Therapist, I spend much time "manipulation of my clinic patients. Due to the successful "manipulation" of the musculoskeletal system, lymphatic system, circulatory system and the nervous system, I am able to reduce pain, promote tissue healing, restoring efficient movement, its institutions and promote the long-term health and wellness .

During my 10 years working with patients, it is the nervous system, which sees itself as the biggest challenge of all to manipulate, and it is because of these difficulties that I am interested in Whole Body Vibration (WBV) and the concept of vibration therapy.

First, I have only seen WBV as a tool to use, select the nervous system, on the stretch reflex, my patient quickly strengthen weak muscles and improve motor function. After only a little research at the time, I did not know how many other potential benefits could potentially be my patients, benefits, I will detail later. Finally, after reading through so much of the research and information as possible, and spend hours surfing through posts on this site, trying out different platforms, and speak with several representatives of WBV manufacturer, I have a hyper-gravity platform (not a plug I. .. swear!), typed my WBV waiver, and ready to revolutionize my practice.

Now, it's not quite as planned! When it's time to begin with my patients, I found myself wondering whether the majority of my patients were suitable candidates for vibration therapy. What was the reason for this reluctance to ask? They all shared a common feature .... they were in PAIN! I was so consumed with the idea of strengthening that I fail to see that most people in the strengthening phase of the treatment program have already been used for other forms of motion and were therefore less "flexible" to new unusual ways of strengthening.

It was the patients in the early phase of treatment, for the purpose of encouraging the vibration of the therapy and I could not quite figure out how to do that without potentially flaring them and forcing them to "over the hill. " My inexperience, fear of abuse suits, and the difficulty in finding reliable information on vibration therapy started quickly overwhelmed my drive to create a new, unique and potentially beneficial form of treatment of my patients. Fortunately, one of my patients, a pain researcher at the Sloan Kettering Hospital in New York, I returned to the gate control theory.

The application of this theory, I realized that the vibration feedback from the machine itself could be the key for the introduction of not only my patients to vibration therapy gently, but for the immediate creation in their pain levels, thus allowing them to further progress, and finally experience the many benefits of vibration therapy. The advantages presented so clearly in the previous articles on this website. After success with several patients, I developed a vibration therapy progression, which, so far proven quite helpful, efficient and thorough in the rehabilitation of my patients, no matter what their needs are.

Next week I will define the gate control theory and explain how this theory is related to the WBV to my patients.

 

Written By Gabriel Ettenson, MS, PT

Whole Body Vibration Training

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Gabriel_Ettenson

0 comments: